I have always had an obsession with a good roast and Sundays. They just seem to be the perfect fit! Smelling that roast sloooooow cooking when you come in the house after church just melts my heart. Then eating it brings me much comfort! 🙂 I have created and tried many roast recipes over the years and have just loved most of them. I can’t live without a good roast in my life and now that we have to follow a strict diet in our house I just had to come up with a healthy recipe for one. This was as healthy as I could get it using a round roast and I am actually pretty proud of myself! And it’s very rustic! Enjoy! 🙂
You will need:
- 2 lb. Round roast (lean as you can find it)
- 2 lb. bag organic large carrots washed and cut into large pieces (I don’t peel them, I like them rustic 🙂
- 4-6 parsnips washed and cut into large pieces (I love them so I used 6)
- 1 doz small red potatoes washed and halved and skin on
- 1/2 c fresh chopped basil (chop a little extra for garnish)
- 2 TBS EV Olive oil
- 7 whole cloves of garlic peeled
- 1/4 c of your favorite red wine
- 1-1/2 tsp fresh ground pepper (I prefer Olde Thompson Pepper Supreme peppercorns, they are the BEST)
- 1-1/2 tsp red pepper flakes (I prefer Simply Organic herbs and spices in my recipes)
- 1 tsp Onion powder
- 3/4 tsp Ground Ginger
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric
- 1 tsp Parsley flakes
- 1 tsp Coriander
- 1 tsp Garlic powder
- 1 c water
- 2 TBS real butter
- 1- 1/2 TBS prepared Horseradish
- 2 TBS Worcestershire sauce
- 3 TBS Tastefully Simple Roasted Garlic Infused Oil (Or brand of your choice)
Preheat oven to 300 degrees
In a 7-8 quart Dutch oven sear roast 2-3 minutes on each side.
Combine all dry spices in a bowl and stir until mixed. Set aside.
Turn off heat and add carrots, parsnips, basil, olive oil, garlic, red wine, Worcestershire sauce, and garlic oil. Make sure roast is in the middle and the veggies are surrounding it.
Add water then evenly sprinkle dry spices over roast and veggies.
Carefully spread horseradish and butter over roast only. It will slowly bake the flavor into the meat.
Then drizzle a little more Olive oil over the whole thing. This is in addition to the 2 TBS you already used.
Bake with lid on for 2 hours and 20 min. DO NOT check on or remove lid. Just let it cook nice and slow! 🙂
Remove from oven and add potatoes
You will also need:
- 2 TBS Parsley flakes
- 1/4 tsp fresh ground pepper
- 1/4 c water
- 1 TBS Worcestershire sauce
- Drizzle of Olive oil
Evenly spread and drizzle parsley, pepper, water, Worcestershire sauce, and olive oil over roast and vegetables. With a turkey baster baste vegetables with juices. Put on lid and return to oven for 1 hour.
Remove from oven and check to see if potatoes are softening. Baste everything this time and return to oven with lid on for 30 more minutes if potatoes were soft if not for 45 min.
Check roast for an internal temp of at least 170 degrees and make sure potatoes are soft.
When done, let roast sit on stove top with lid on for 20 min to rest. while you prepare your sides.
Slice (well it will probably fall apart) and serve with an extra drizzle of olive oil and a sprinkle of fresh basil.. and your favorite sides or just the way it is with a good crusty bread!!!!
Created with love by:
Char Head 🙂