This recipe really intrigued me. It’s like a big meatball biscuit casserole thing! LOL! Refreshing these recipes right now is a little challenging with us being in this quarantine but It’s a great time to learn the “art” of substituting ingredients in recipes. I LOVED this dish with the mushroom gravy but I will say I think a darker brown gravy with or without mushrooms may have went with it a little better. But, really any gravy you have or prefer would work great. And no gravy at all would be fine too! It would be good without it as well! Enjoy!! 🙂
You will need:
- 1-1/2 lbs ground beef, chicken, or turkey (add a little olive oil if using chicken)
- (I am not a fan of onion soup mix so I substituted with these next 6 ingredients + the pepper flakes and Worcestershire sauce)
- 2-1/2 tsp Tastefully Simple Garlic Garlic seasoning (or any garlic blend seasoning)
- 1-1/2 tsp Tastefully Simple Rustic Herb Seasoning (or any herbal seasoning you have)
- 2 tsp parsley flakes
- 1-1/2 tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp dried minced onion (or just add more fresh onion)
- 1 small yellow onion minced (about 1/2 c)
- 1/4 tsp poultry seasoning
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp Kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes (to taste)
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 slightly beaten egg
- 1 Tb water
- 1/2 c panko breadcrumbs (or regular breadcrumbs)
- 1/4 c parmesan cheese
- 1-1/2 c sifted flour
- 1-1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp Kosher salt
- 4 eggs
- 1-1/2 c milk
- 3 Tb melted butter
- (although this batter amount was good as it is I feel like it would be better increased slightly by 50%. Doubling would be too much but if you want more batter around the meatballs give it a try!)
Combine ground beef with next 11 ingredients. Blend egg with water then add to meat mixture. Add breadcrumbs and cheese and blend well. Form into meatballs and place in a well greased 13×9 baking dish. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Sift together flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside. Beat eggs until foamy (I used a whisk but you can use a mixer) Add milk and butter and mix well. Add dry ingredients and whisk or beat until smooth. Pour batter over meatballs.
Bake 50-60 min or until golden brown.
Let meatballs rest 5 minutes. Then cut into desired size slices and cover with gravy of choice. Top with parsley or grated cheese and serve with your favorite side.
You will need:
- 3 Tb butter
- Olive oil
- 1- 8 oz pkg mushrooms (any kind) cleaned and sliced
- 2 tsp pepper
- approx.. 1/4 c flour
- 1 to 2 cups any stock (beef would be best but all I had was chicken)
- 1-1/2 Tb Worcestershire sauce (1 Tb if using beef stock)
In a skillet on med/high heat melt the butter then add mushrooms. Add pepper and sauté until browned. Add a drizzle of olive oil and stir. Sprinkle flour over mushrooms and blend. Add stock a little at a time stirring with a whisk until desired thickness is achieved. Reduce heat to low and stir in Worcestershire sauce until well blended. Add more stock if gravy is too thick. Remove from heat and cover to keep warm until meatballs are done.
Created with love by:
Char Head 🙂